West Midlands Museum Development (WMMD) undertakes an Annual Survey of Museums in the West Midlands and asks all Accredited Museums and those Working Towards Accreditation to take part.
The purpose of the survey is to gather evidence to help demonstrate and prove the social and economic importance of museums both locally and regionally to funders and stakeholders. The survey report is a useful resource that can be used by museums for:
- Fundraising – the data can be used as evidence to support funding applications or to express the value of museums to the public
- Advocacy – evidence to make the case for the social and economic value or museums in order to sustain investment
- Performance benchmarking – consistent data to compare museum’s operational context
- Informing strategy – knowing operational context supports business planning
The numbers are being crunched for the 2018-19 survey and we will publish the report at the end of 2019.
Key Findings from the 2017-18 survey include:
- Nearly 4 million visits were made to museums and heritage sites responding to the survey
- Over £30 million was generated in earned income
- 53% of museums charged admission
- Volunteers contributed over 695,000 hours