**Covid-19 and Accreditation update 31/3/20**
Arts Council England and its UK Accreditation partners, the Welsh Government, Museums Galleries Scotland and Northern Ireland Museums Council, recognise that many museums are closing their sites due to the impact of Covid-19 and in response to Government advice.
In order to support the sector during these unprecedented times all Accredited museums in the UK will have their current award status extended for an additional 12 months. The Accreditation team is also postponing all future Accreditation Panel meetings, including the upcoming meeting scheduled for 28 April 2020.
ACE will be publishing an FAQ with greater detail on what this means and how it might affect you by shortly. In the meantime, if you have any questions please do get in touch at: email@example.com.
The Accreditation Scheme sets out nationally-agreed standards, which inspire the confidence of the public and funding and governing bodies.
It helps everyone involved with a museum to do the right things, helping people to access and engage with collections, and protect them for future generations.
The Accreditation Scheme does this by making sure museums manage their collections properly, engage with visitors, and are governed appropriately by encouraging all museums and galleries to meet an agreed standard in:
- how they’re run
- how they manage their collections
- how they engage with their users
The scheme is managed as a UK Partnership between Arts Council England, the Welsh Government, Museums Galleries Scotland and Northern Ireland Museums Council. It is run for museums and galleries of all sizes and types across the UK.
New to Accreditation? Find out more here.
Already Accredited? Here’s an Accreditation checklist:
Find out when your museum is due to make an Accreditation return:
- The updated Accreditation returns schedule is available to download here
Familiarise yourself with the requirements:
- The 2018 Standard and guidance is available from the ACE website here
Get advice and support:
- For regular Accreditation news, keep in touch with us, the West Midlands Museum Development team. Contact us by email or call 01952 435900. Encourage your colleagues to sign up to our mailing list via our website to find out about any Accreditation updates.
Do your homework:
- Address any recommendations resulting from your previous return
Create an account:
- You will apply online using Grantium. User support is available from the Arts Council England Customer Service Team by email or phone 0161 934 4317.
Treat Accreditation as a process not an event:
- By using and reviewing your policies, plans and procedures your paperwork will always be up to date